Vistulian Panorama

The view of the Old Quarter as seen from the south bank of the river is among the most beautiful city panoramas. It has always inspired painters, poets and raftsmen floating their rafts down the Vistula. It is, at the same time, the most popular view of Toruń, stunningly illuminated at night.   

****************************************

 

Toruń Gingerbread

Toruń gingerbread has long been the most famous gingerbread in the world! The plain or sophisticatedly shaped cakes, the former known as "Catherines", are the tradition, eritage and symbol of Toruń, as well as an indispensable souvenir of the city. Their peculiarity lies not only in theri taste, but also in their figural forms. The beautiful richly ornamental wooden baking tray moulds are masterpieces of the high-level woodcarving art themselves, which is well-illustrated by the surviving examples in the City Hall museum or on the permanent exhibition "The world of Toruń gingerbread".

****************************************

 

Old City Town Hall

Old City Town Hall is the most impressive building of its kind in Poland and one of the biggest in the world. Its tower dating from 1274 is the oldest city hall tower in this part of Europe. Toruń City Hall is among the most outstanding achievements of burgher architecture in Europe. Its perfect and and well-balanced proportions, together with the rich and artistic interior furnishing reflect the architectural artistry and an excellent taste of Toruń patriciate who considered it their pride. It was the manifestation of the economic power of Toruń, the former Hanseatic trade emporium, and the most splendid secular building in the city, the venue for momentous occasions and grand ceremonies, as well as the residence of the Kings of Poland who particularly frequently paid visits to Toruń.

****************************************

 

Tuba Dei Bell

Since 1500 St. Johns’ Cathedral tower has accommodated an unusual bell - Tuba Dei (God’s Trumpet). Its peculiarity lies in the fact that it is not only the biggest medieval bell in Poland, but also one of the biggest Polish bells in general (until recently the second biggest). Before casting the famous Sigismund Bell in Krakow (1521), Tuba Dei had been recognized as the biggest in the Kingdom of Poland.

Today it is no small attraction for tourists, especially when it sounds, which takes place several times a year. Not once in its over 500-year-old history had it been subject to destruction or plunder during war.

****************************************

 

The Leaning Tower

Formerly part of the city fortifications with 54 other fortified towers. Contrary to what the legends say, its tilt is the result of the instability of the clay ground. Surviving in the line of the city walls, it is among the biggest wonders and tourist attractions in Toruń today. It is another symbol of the city, most frequently photographed by tourists.

****************************************

 

Artus Court

Artus Court in Toruń and Gdańsk are the only buildings of their kind in the world today. Even though the present-day building dates back to the 19th century, its structure has been modeled on that from 1386. Few people realize that Toruń Artus Court was the first building of its kind erected in the Teutonic State. It was the seat of St. George Brotherhood, an exclusive association of merchants and rich Toruń patricians, active in Toruń in 1311-1842. It was the venue for a number of important meetings, including those of a political character, the most important of which was signing the Second Peace Treaty of Toruń in 1466 concluding the Thirteen Years’ War and putting an end to the Teutonic State in its former shape.

*****************************************

 

Gothic Castles

Rarely can a Polish city boast more than one castle located within its boundaries. In Toruń there were two, representative of two separate countries in the past and currently in ruins. These are the mid-13th century Teutonic Castle – the headquarters of the Commander on the right Vistula bank and early 13th century Polish Dybów Castle – the headquarters of the royal district governors (starost), on the left river bank, i.e. within the territory of the Kingdom of Poland.

Toruń, as a Teutonic border city and the so-called ‘Gate to Prussia’, was located the furthest south in the Teutonic State and was the first and biggest Prussian city to be encountered while traveling from the Kingom of Poland. It was thus the natural meeting point and an arena for a number of political events in the history of Polish-Teutonic relations. Its strategic position led to erecting two important watchtowers here, each belonging to a different state.

Besides them, the area boasts the castles in Zamek Bierzgłowski and Złotoria, the latter currently in ruins.

…and many, many more!

 

Source: http://www.visittorun.pl/234,l2.html